rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

Saturday 7 February 2015

OT: yutkan wojapi ki - eat up the blueberry soup

Today I made some wojapi.  It is a traditional Lakota soup made of berries.  I used blueberries.  It is very versatile and can be eaten hot or cold, as a soup, over ice cream or roast, or for dipping your frybread into.   My family loves their wojapi. 

We do not speak our language fluently as both my husband and I were scooped (adopted out), but we go to language nest on weekends to recapture some of what has been taken from us.  This is our family's phrase of the week.  My husband is Swampy Cree and I'm a plains girl (Lakota), he thought this was weird till he tried it.  He is slowly deciding plains food is yumny too. 

Tomorrow is Wohanpi
(Wild meat and roots soup), being urban Indians it will be beef.  How does your family keep traditions alive?  We like language and food, there is much heart in language and food. 

On a cloth diaper side, wojapi requires a good rinse on the cloth diaper lol, I wonder if pooped out berries will stain, we will find out tomorrow lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment