rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

Saturday 9 May 2015

My Fitted Leg Prefold - a look back

Monkey's newborn diapers were flannel prefolds.  But I mod'd them of course.  I added elastic along the core in the middle 2 quarters of the diaper length.  And I added Velcro for dad.  The fitted leg and Velcro did limit folding options but since i always used angel folsor jelly roll, that was irrelevant cyz rhis diaper is perfect for that.


My prefolds were 2/4/2.  This means 2 layers thick in the sides ans 4 layers thick in the middle.  I also made each diaper a doubler that was 3 layers flannel so they were plenty thick.  I used them with wool covers but you can also use pul, tpu or fleece (water resistant).
This is the diaper opened up.  You can see the elastic along the core.  This diapers measure 14x16, so the core and sides are each just over 5inches wide.  I sewed the top and bottom (topstitch).  Zigzagged down each side of the core.  Opened the sides to tack the elastic.  Pinned the sides closed.  Cased the elastic.  Top stitched the sides.

To angel fold I fold the sides in winging out at the top.  Lay doubled in top of center.  Fold up and do up velcro tabs.
For jelly roll place the doubler in the center.  Roll the sides and do up the diaper.  Jelly roll is great for stopping infant ebf (exclusively breastfed poop).  Additionally folding the back down and winging out the sides stops ebf from coming up the back.  Infact it is called the poop catcher.

Another addition you could add to your prefold to stop infant ebf wohld be a waistband like seen in the thirsties duo hemp prefold.  A knit would do this best.

I always put away my prefolds folded so I don't have to do that while changing.  Hubby learned to fold prefolds by helping with laundry folding and help from my 14 year old.  

No comments:

Post a Comment