rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

Tuesday 20 January 2015

EBF poop and the modern myth

I  going to dispel with explanation an ebf poop myth.  Please read before dismissing

When I started cloth diapering I was told by my Mom and Grandma to rinse diapers after use.  Makes sense to me so I did.  Keep in mind that at that time diapers were 100% cotton like they were in their day.  Also remember that all natural cloth diapers (cotton or hemp) clean the easiest. 

Well somewhere in the last 19 years that changed.  Now women are told you don't need to rinse diapers filled with urine or ebf (exclusively breastfed) poop.  That my fellow CD moms is a myth.  I am going to explain why so please keep reading.

It doesn't matter if your babe is ebf, poop is poop.  Breast milk may be liquid gold.  I won't argue that.  I am after all breastfeeding for the 6th time and nearing my 12th (non consecutive) year of breastfeeding.  However the human waste byproducts of breast milk are poop and urine.  And no amount of your liquid gold milk changes that. 

Ebf poop, like all other human poop contains e. coli and several staph bacteria's. Baby urine also has some e. coli and staph bacteria.  Not all are dangerous but some are.  Regardless, we wash our hands because contact with human waate is unsanitary.  Once human urine was believed to be sterile but science has proven otherwise.  Regardless baby urine causes ammonia just like adult urine.  

E. COLI. Do I need to say it again?  Ebf poop and urine contain e. coli.  This is why we don't poop and pee where we drink, sleep and live (well no we flush it away from us).  Its why my Native ancestors were strict about this.  Its why my French ancestors (and the ancestors of all people with European blood) lived in sick and squalid conditions from not following this respect for the dangerous bacteria human waste contains. 

Ebf poop might be water soluble but that doesn't mean it's safe. E. coli is not water soluble!  So yes rinse your soiled diapers.  How clean do you think your diapers really are if being cleaned in e.coli filled water?  And if you have an HE water, which recycles that e.coli infested water, there is no way  those diapers are deep down clean. 

Add to the issue that using more then two layers of synthetic fabrics (bamboo includes) makes a diaper that struggles to be clean.  Then there is MF, designed to trap dirt and Germs.  And don't forget zorb which includes MF fibers and other synthetics.  This is not gonna magically deep clean ever especially if cleaning in poop water!

If your disposable diapering neighbor has a poop blow out you can bet your ass the outfit is being rinsed them laundered asap
  If your cousin's toddler pees the bed at night your cousin will also rinse and then launder asap. 

But you heard a wet pail would breed germs?  Possibly, but that's why we launder often.  We aren't talking a pail full of sitting water.  Also you can hang diapers over the edge of the pail.  Anyhow the bacteria e. Coli that is breeding and ammonia that is growing in your bag of dry poop and pee filled diapers is way worse then my rinsed diapers.  Also that's we we wash every 2-3 days.  Preferably 2 when possible.  I know it means extra laundry, but that is part of doing what is best for baby.  

When did cloth mom's  become the lazy ones?  For me cloth is about an environmental choice but also a healthy choice for my child.  Please keep your child's bum healthy and take that small quick step to rinse the diaper before tossing it in the pail!

Does anyone know when people started telling others it was ok to leave poop sitting around in a diaper till laundry day?  Do they have a better explanation the "ebf is water soluble?  What about the ammonia growing in pee diapers?  Or did everyone just accept it because if you go onto a CD internet group and say you have to rinse ebf poop, they bully you into saying it's fine?  Bullying people into dirty myths does not make the myth real. I know how it works, I tried several such groups.  

You know when people ask why I cloth diaper I list several reasons.  One of those reasons is cuz I think its gross to have a bag of poop sitting  in my house waiting for garbage day Like disposable diapering parents do.  You can imagine my shock last year when I discovered that many CD moms now have the same thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment