rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

Thursday 5 March 2015

Diaper Pails

When I started cloth diapering dirty diapers were stored one way, in a diaper pail.  Everyone had the same diaper pail which came in white, blue, pink and yellow.  They had an etched animal on them, mine had a bunny.  My moms had an elephant.... Yes these pails have been around a long time.  So imagine my surprise when I couldn't find one in stores for Monkey! 

Diaper laundry is not what it was.  Modern diapers with synthetics need heavier wash routines, HE washers are apparently a pain in the poppy bum and in the age if diaper genies even the cloth diaper pail got a make over, and a liner, and accessories. 

Well it's no secret that I'm a fan off k.i.s.s (keep it simple stupid), so I wanted the same pail our family had always used.  I had a few pregnant tears over it about this time last year.  In the end I got a plastic kitchen garbage can.  Pretty simple lol. 

Then I bought my first ever  wet bag and was all pumped to dry this new idea everyone was so gaga about and found so necessary....I hated it.  Seriously if you've always used one then try an open pail for 1 week. That wet bag made everything stink of wet cloth, like a mildew smell.  Back to my pail, air flow, yep, that's what wet bags don't have is airflow and wet fabric needs that so as not to breed must and mildew. 

This is what I do.  When a diaper is wet or poppy I change it, I rinse it (yep, every single one!), wring it out, throw in my open (no lid cuz I threw out the lid) pail.  And then I wash every two (2) days.  I add regular laundry to make a full load.  Remember I've rinsed away the poop and pee so my family is chills with this ( as my teens would say).
You heard wet pails were bad?  This isn't a wet pail.  Wet pail is a pail if water and vinegar that you soak diapers in till laundry day.  Dry Paul is no sitting water.  Yes the diapers are wet...with tap water as opposed to  wet with pee.  And I wash every 2 days cuz I was taught that's important. 

So there is my suggestion: try an open pail (no lid or liner) with rinsed diapers.  Also, I rinse the pail with water and vinegar yo clean each time.  I think you'll find less dirty diaper smell awaiting laundry day.

No comments:

Post a Comment