rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

Monday 27 April 2015

A Mommy Shopping Trip - a lesson in how to be good to you.

Have you readabout capsule wardrobes? (You can read about them at unfancy)   Its about having basic, non over flowing closet of clothes you love   Its an idea I love as I dislike clutter, excess and over consumption.  I often declutter my wardrobe.  However what I don't do is properly stock it in the first place.  Previously I compensated for this by raiding the closets of my teen daughters.  However I'm bigger post baby. 

So I was feeling kinda down.  I added weight over the winter and my clothes were mostly not fitting well.  Add to that a wardrobe that was becoming thread bare and didn't have "outfits". 

How is this important to mothering?  Its very important.  Our emotional and mental well being effects those around us.  If we don't feel good about ourselves, we don't preform our best.  We are also less likely to go outside, make healthy choices etc. 

So after reading an article about capsule wardrobes that referenced unfancy, I went and read it.  She has just (the other day) gone on hiatus but go read.  I read and I decided, I need this.  I need clothes that are in decent shape and are flattering.  But I'm thrifty.  So I went clearance shopping. 

Now here's the golden nugget.  I went and was very honest about my new size.  I am a size 9 pant, large shirt.  That's a bit to swallow when I was a size 3 just 2 years ago.  
Could I have squeezed in to a 7?, a stretchy 5?  Yes, cuz I have been.  But then I'd be back to sporting a muffin top.  Just cuz we can get into a certain size doesn't mean it fits. 

The point is to feel good about how I look.  Accepting my current size means the clothes will look good.  No muffin top.  And when we lie to ourselves we don't feel good.  Yes I went back to eating proper portion sizes (last week lol) and will likely drop the extra 10 I gained over the winter.  However that doesn't mean buying the size I hope to wear and look good in eventually.  I need to feel good now. 

It was a success.  I got 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of capri's and a maxi skirt.  I also got 5 shirts, a bra, to cami's, a scarf and socks.  Thenbas soon as i got home i brutally emptied my closet and chucked stuff that will be taken toba thrift shop tomorrow.  I kept 2 pairs of slacks, a few shirts, skirts and sweaters.  I also (in the back of my closet kept 3 dresses I hope will fit again). My closet and dresser have room to spare.  And my new wardrobe is adult (no skinny screen print tees).  I'm 40 in 5 weeks. 

I feel good.  I look good.  I'm ready to go take Monkey out all over town.  Chat to other moms at the park.  I feel confident.  I don't feel old.  Buying age appropriate but fashionable clothes made me feel younger, not older. 

I don't have the suggested 10 pairs of shoes.  To me that feels like over consumption.  I have one spring jacket and a sweater jacket.  I plan to find a purse.  Monkey doesn't usually need more then 2 diapers when out now so I could throw his stuff in a purse.  All I need it for is my wallet and cell phone lol. 

The lesson:  be good to you, look after you and be honest with you.  The smile, the confidence and the pride will make you mother to your fullest. (I will do my hair before going out lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment