rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

Tuesday 28 April 2015

Answering: clothes I picked to work with the Mommy figure

I (excitedly) told a group of Facebook friends about my capsule wardrobe shopping trip.  And from that was asked what I picked to work with my mommy figure.  So I'm writing this... A post I never thought I would be writing lol.  First a few notes and disclaimers
•I'm a size 9 pants large shirt for the mommy belly which isn't actually from having Monkey or my other kids...its from a winter of donuts.  I'm also an A cup and my bum is not the bum of my youth lol, it has the sag of my 40 years lol. 
•I'm not a fashion expert.  I'm a seamstress though so I do know a thing or to about fabric. Drape and clothes....but mostly I know about powwow clothes and baby clothes.  Also I feel I should admit that I'm a fan of Nirvana and as a 90's teen was very grunge....but my clothes have grown up since then, in general, mostly as of last night lol.
•I went shopping at Giant Tiger and I'm thrifty.  GT is a Canadian discount department store.  Not big like Walmart or Target, small department store.  You can find similar styles in nearly any store.  And of course, check the clearance racks!
•I need clothes to be nursing friendly.
•These will not make me look like I'm a size 3.  They just make me look good at NY current size.

Maxi Skirt and Banded waist t-shirt.
I love maxi dresses.  However they looked better when I didn't have belly.  So I got a maxi skirt with a drop waist.  Drop waists are awesome at belly coverage.  Same with a t-shirt with a banded waist.  It helps smooth out the belly, and blouses the shirt nicely.  Gives me a nice, smooth silhouette.  I also got a cream and blue scarf with a butterfly print.  I love scarves.  I don't use them to hide myself while nursing.  Actually Monkey pulls in them and pushes them to the side.  I usually remove it while nursing. 

Jeans:
I got three pairs.  What they all have in common is this:
•they fit, properly.  Both in the waist (no muffin top), and the bum (hold up the mommy sag.
•one is twill, 2 are denim (one with Lycra).  This means they have form and structure that jeggings frequently lack.  Plus they will wash better. 
•regular rise waist.  First time in decades I haven't bought low rise but it was time to face that me hiking my low rise jeans up over sag with muffin top spilling out just isn't all that sexy. 
What's different?; one is a faded pair of capris.  After all summer is coming.  One is a regular jean with a boot cut and some rainbow stitching (to appease my child like heart).  This was my difficult purchase.  I love skinny jeans.  I have the legs for them.  But I used to love a flared leg so we will see how I like them.  It was a maybe purchase.  Risky, I know.  And the last pair is black skinny jeans.  These are twill.  Twill is as heavy as denim but with a softer (brushed) feel.  They are pull on (no button or zipper), like a jeggings, they have some Lycra for stretch, but the heavy fabric gives them that jeans structure. 

The blouse:  I got a very light weight flowy  blouse.  Its army green cuz my daughter wants to share it.  This means I still need a black one for my slacks.  Its not too loose (flow) that it males it look like I'm wearing a tent (too big is also not flattering).  And its not to small that it grabs my belly.  It has structure I. The design to make it fit a female body.  The other blouse is a maroon. Berry kind of colour.  It has an elastic waist.  This functions like the banded waist.  In fact it works so well I'm adding elastic to the waist of a large yet beautiful too I was gifted. 


Splash of red:
I got a sleeveless crossover red shirt.  It has a banded waist also.  The criss over cascades which is always a great belly hider.  And the splash of red can brighten, cheer or sophisticate any plain pair if pants.  Its Jersey knit and yet can be dressed up or look casual.  Shirts that do this are great wardrobe pieces. 
Cami's:
I like a good tank under my clothes.  Often in replace of a bra, but not always.  And cuz I like it tucked in to keep my back warm (personal thing).  Also if I have to pull up my shirt to nurse (I prefer to pull shirt down though). The cami's fit. And feel good.   And I brought a bra.  Let's face it, those boobs look best when help up, even if they are only a tiny bit of sag. 
All the shirts work with all my pants.  The blue one also works with a summer skirt I kept.  The black cami works with both my slacks (I kept, they fit) with one of my mini cardigans, but a black summer shirt that's a bit dressier would be good.  I like shirts I can wear year round and just add a sweater. 
I kept a few tank tops, a winter shirt, a summer shirt,  and my black nursing T-shirt.  Like I said I also kept my two slacks (one is a funky summer pair).  Also my leggings and a pair of sweat pants and two hoodies. 

No yoga pants? 
Yeah, sorry, don't own any.  And I do yoga.  I usually wear leggings and a tunic for yoga, or my sweat pants.  Ot if at home whatever I'm currently wearing.  Didn't keep any tunics (oh my).  But I mostly wear leggings under jeans or a skirt.  I hate being cold. 

Sweats for yoga? 
If your doing hot yoga or other popular types sweats won't work, your boil, buy a work out outfit.  But I do yin yoga (hold a pose for 5-15 minutes).  I'm not working up a sweat.  It is strenuous but in a different way and I find it very meditative, slows me down, relaxing.  I'm extremely flexible so I can get very comfortable in most poses. 
So there you have it.  Create your own budget capsule wardrobe and share :) Just remember to love it and buy what fits you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment