rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

Friday 14 August 2015

Ice Dying Wool Interlock With Wilton's Colouring paste.

Well when the jello dying of interlock shorties looked probably successful I knew i wanted to dye my white interlock fabric.  And I wanted it ice dyed.  But i have no ice cube trays...what to do?   what to do?.....aha! Make coloured ice in metal pie runs then smash when solid.  I can do this.  But I have a limited number for this, plus limited freezer space and limited left over colour.  So I decided I will ice dye butt circles and cuffs,  cuz the longies will be made using monster bunz (mb).

Knowing I would want to start asap I made pans of coloured water while the red jello shorties were soaking.  From there I will have to wait.  I have royal blue and golden yellow.  So I made blue,  yellow and green.

 Once frozen the shorties  should be dry.  If the shorties shrank lots I will just dump the ice I guess.

I also had to make room in my freezer.  This meant lots of stacking.  Tomorrow we shall see if I proceed.  The remaining fabric will be microwaved in blue I think.

Day 2:
The shorties turned out great with no felting so into dyeing my fabric.  I cut out my pieces: 2 butt circles and 2 sets if cuffs (one set in red interlock, one set for a pair I'm dying blue), 1 waist band and one set of legs (to be blue, different post).

Next I hammered the ice.  The yellow was in a 6in cake pan.  That was a mistake as I could only get large chunks.

Then having no suitable rack I placed wool in the front cover of a fan lol.

Poured vinegar water solution over top

Added ice.  Since I'm cooking tonight's chicken now before it gets really hot outside it is in my tiny super hot kitchen.

Once done cooking I moved it outside to my balcony in the sun.  Let's hope I can keep monkey and the cats away from it lol.  And now waiting for ice to melt.
The ice melted pretty quick in the sun.

After that I hung them to dry outside untill my blue dye job (next post after this) was dry and then i moved these peices to the back of my fans.  I squeezed out excess water by hand which gave the back ground a light green tinge.  Rolled in a towel then hung them.  I was surprised by the maroon and bit of purple.  And I am very happy with the results.

The water that dripped into the bowl was such a lovely green i dted my wool scraps in it.  They will either become a wool soaker or or (if big enough) longies.

No comments:

Post a Comment