rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

Friday 14 August 2015

Microwave Dying Wool Interlock With Wilton's (food) Colouring

Well as I wait for my cuffs, waist and butt circles to ice dye for my wool longies I am dyeing the legs (if said longies) blue with Wilton's royal blue colour (what I usually use for colouring marshmallow fondant for cakes).  This is much quicker.

I added blue colour to a bowl of hot tap water and some vinegar (about 3/4 cup) and stirred.  There was some chunks that didn't dissolve...I'm sure it will add depth instead of symmetrical coverage.  And I like that.

Next I added the leg pieces to the bowl and microwaved for 2 min, let set 2 min (in theory, in reality it was 2-5 because I have a lot going on today before my in laws arrive),  repeat till water us clear.

I thought it was done after second time cuz the water was clear but when I lifted the wool with tongs colour ran off. So back to the microwave.

When finally done I microwaved a bowl of plain water for 2.5 min then took wool out of first bowl and put it to set in second bowl.  I will leave it there till the water cools then dry on the back of a fan.  Since I dont want shrinkage or felting its important to let it cool down at room temperature.
And here the leg peices are dried and laid out with the ice dyed peices it will go with.

No comments:

Post a Comment