rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

rocking a flannel butterfly fitted

Sunday 16 August 2015

potty training toddler #6, & decisions on Monkey Undies

I potty trained my other kids with Kushies fitted diapers and classic cotton waffle weave trainers.  Kushies Fitted's were Velcro and easy for a toddler to pull off.  I use Fitted's with pins for monkey.  Not easy to pull off.  And the cotton trainers now have poly in them and the new style trainers are as much like a toddler do it yourself diaper as pull ups.
It seemed easier to just sew what I want for Monkey then to keep looking.

 & Whys:
Want - Absorbent enough to catch a leak but not a full pee.
Why: because they should function like underwear as the point is to train the toddler to use underwear but be realistic about short notice.

Want- ability to add absorbency for early days since Monkey's diapers don't come off quick.
Why - taking out pins takes to long and he can't do it himself.  Plus that will be handy for first outings when toilets aren't always 5 feet away.

Want - non water proof
Why - again to function like underwear.  Monkey will be wearing wool longies anyways so accidents won't always equal clothing change which is a bonus for me.

Want - no stay dry layer
Why - it helps a toddler learn about potty training if they feel wet when accidents or leaks occur.

So Monkey Undies are 2 layers cotton terry in an underwear look.  I might order a knit for a decorative outer but at the moment I'm using fabrics I have.

They also have a 3 layer lay in soaker (I will probably add a snap but I need to borrow a snap press again.  I think snapping in the soaker will make pulling monkey undies up and down easier.  The soaker is just one layer cotton fleece and two layers flannel.  I have some hemp fleece left and Will make a few with that for outings.

How:  Monkey has only a few words at 15 months.  Like his siblings his milestones are all physical.  He runs, jumps, climbs, throws a ball, uses a slide on his own etc.  So we will start with training in the mornings.  We are often home till around 10am and this is the time of day he seems to learn new things best and has the best temperament.  Work with your toddlers strength .  I will judge his responses to see if he is ready, if not we will try again soon (as in weeks).

We will cheer his success and mention the accidents with encouragement for next time.  When potty training I only give a treat (usually a timmies donut) for the following milestones:
•first full day in undies without accidents.
•first full week no accidents -yay your day trained.
•night trained.

Once fully day trained I expect my toddlers to continue with minimal at home accidents.  I don't punish accidents but we show it is disappointing.

Why do I do it all this way?
I don't want my toddlers to pee and poop for treats.  I want them to learn to be proud of their accomplishments.  Pride includes some disappointments in life.  That's what should drive us to improve; not treats.

There is a point where potty training can change course.  I feel a 3-4 year old who refuses to use the potty understands what the expectation is and so is disobeying when the don't.  Yes I have consequences for disobedience in preschoolers.

So there you have it, that's my approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment